Thursday 23 February 2012

Lumbini - Buddha's birthplace

Cant believe I was so pleased to arrive in Lumbini this afternoon. After Kathmandu it is so peaceful. The drive from the airport is amazing, through lush green fields full of crops and fat farm animals. Everyone and everything seems far more healthy.  The fresh air was brilliant, I couldnt believe how much cleaner it was. Heavily scented with some kind of crop or flowers, it was heavenly to take real deep breaths. Now I know why I have to wear a mask in Kathmandu otherwise I cant breathe after a few days. I really did appreciate the difference in air quality.

Our hotel the Buddha Maya Garden is as lovely as we remembered and the staff are very helpful. After a rest I walked down into the grounds and enjoyed a meditation in a pagoda with its own Buddha. The peace and quiet was wonderful. Just me, the Buddha and the rustle of the wind in the trees. A moment to give thanks to the Universe for getting me back here. An appreciation of all that I have in my life, when so many in the world have so little. Tomorrow we shall walk to the Buddha Gardern and queue with the hoards of pilgrims to witness the spot where he was born from his mothers armpit. Then we shall wander around the garden and listen to the many different chants from all nationalities, brought together from all over the world for one common goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment